Job Opening: Legal Assistant
The Legal Assistant provides assistance to attorneys and advocates who represent low-income clients with HIV and/or mental health issues on income and health insurance benefits.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Benefits Advocacy: Assists Benefits Counseling Program staff in assisting clients to apply for public benefits, as well as with other health insurance and income benefits related issues. Assists with following claims throughout the process. Assists with filing appropriate paperwork and obtaining supporting medical evidence.
- Hearings: Assists program staff with case preparation for appeals before Administrative Law Judges or other tribunals, including filing documents for appeals process and obtaining supporting medical evidence.
- File Management: Assists the program staff in maintaining confidential client files. Maintains benefits status database. Calendars deadlines and assists program staff in meeting deadlines.
- Administrative Assistance: Coordinates administrative tasks and provides logistical support for the program as assigned.
- B.A. and/or experience in legal assistance combined with administrative and computer skills required.
- Bilingual and bicultural (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Russian or Arabic) highly desirable.
- Ability to be sensitive to and work well with low-income individuals, people with psychiatric disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, people of color, active drug users, people with a history of homelessness or incarceration, and people in the LGBT community essential.
- Ability to work effectively with attorneys and service providers required.
- Familiarity with mental health issues, HIV/AIDS, and state and federal laws regarding disability benefits preferred.
- Knowledge of Harm Reduction theory and practice as applied to legal services preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
40 hours per week. Competitive salary plus medical, dental, short/long term disability, life insurance, employer matching contributions to 403(b) retirement.
Submit a resume and cover letter to: Positive Resource Center, Attn: Human Resources, 785 Market Street, 10th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103. or email HumanResources@positiveresource.org.
People living with HIV/AIDS or other disabilities, people of color and people who are bilingual/bicultural are strongly encouraged to apply.
Return to Job Opportunities at PRC